Friday 24 February 2012

Trader Joe's 2011 Vintage Ale

We're on a weekend road trip to Cleveland and taking the opportunity to try some brews not available in Ontario. First up to bat is a Trader Joe's store brand made by Unibroue. Trader Joe's is fairly upscale so I went in with fairly high expectations.

This is a dark spiced ale, and appears to be trying for the winter ale niche. It's a smooth ale with no bitterness. The beer has a strong fennel overtone, almost a medicinal quality. I once has a Sam Adams winter ale that I really enjoyed, but other than that I've mostly been disappointed by winter ales. I'm just not very fond of the spice combinations they tend to choose, and this beer is no exception. It has all the characteristic of a good ale, dark color, full bodied, it's just the spices I don't enjoy. Three out of seven thumbs up, and this will probably be the last winter ale I try until at least November.

No comments:

Post a Comment