Friday 2 March 2012

Griffon - Ale Rousse


Griffon is a red ale from the Brasserie McAuslan in Montreal. I used to be a big fan of red ales, particularly Rickards Red back before it went mainstream and changed the formulation. Lately I've been disappointed when trying reds, I'm still trying to figure out if my tastes have changed or I'm just picking poor beers.

Griffon is a bit of a watery ale on first blush, but with a sort of dry aftertaste. Sort of like a dry red wine. I think this dryness is the nuttiness that is mentioned on the label, but if it is nuttiness then it's not something I'd call a positive trait.

The beer did mellow a bit after sitting for five or ten minutes, and my overall impression improved a little. This improvement after sitting for a bit is something I've noticed recently with beers and something I'll probably track in future posts.

On first blush I was going to give this three thumbs up, but after letting it mellow I'm going to upgrade that to four thumbs up out of seven.


No comments:

Post a Comment