Saturday 4 February 2012

Russian Gun Imperial Stout


Russian Gun Imperial Stout is brewed by the Grand River Brewing company. Grand River Brewing is housed in the old Galt Knife Company building on the Grand River in Cambridge. This is a fairly new brewery that I've had high hopes for, but their beers have been somewhat hit or miss.

My particular bottle has a label saying it was bottled on Dec 20, 2011, definitely a feature I'm a fan of. The stout is a nice black colour, it's stoutness is obvious on first glance. The overwhelming flavor is a somewhat unpleasant burnt/smokiness that is somewhat off putting. There are some more interesting undertones, but the overtones really dominate.

I'm usually a fan of stouts, so I was excited at having one brewed so close to home, but this stout was a disappointment. This is a seasonal beer from Grand River Brewing, so I'll try it again next winter in the hopes that they tweak the recipe a little bit.

I give this beer 3 out 7 thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment