Sunday 11 March 2012

Hitachino Nest, Real Ginger Brew


Hitachino Nest Real Ginger Brew from the Kiuchi Brewery is a Japanese beer brewed with fresh ginger root. I'm generally a fan of non alcoholic ginger beer, so when I saw this beer I had to try it.

The first sip was a little bit skunky, but that died down pretty quickly. The ginger flavor isn't as strong as most non alcoholic ginger beers, but it's definitely noticeable. I don't think I like the mix of ginger and malt flavours, it's kind of like someone just added ginger to a mediocre beer. I starting to suspect that what I really want in an alcoholic ginger beer is a normal strong non alcoholic ginger beer with vodka added. Sort of like Mike's hard lemonade. Just because ginger beer has "beer" in the name, doesn't mean it tastes good when mixed with real beer. Sort of like Mike's hard lemonade in the states where they can't use vodka for legal reasons and it's a bad "malt beverage" instead".

The beer isn't offensive, I just think the added ginger detracts rather than adds to the overall experience. Two thumbs up out of seven.

No comments:

Post a Comment