Sunday 22 January 2012

Schoune La place du marché

One of the nice things about living in Ottawa is the easy access to Quebec microbrews just across the river.  The Beer Store stocks a couple of Quebecois beers, and they're not exactly from craft brewers.  I'm much more likely to find something interesting in Gatineau, and if not, at least a case of Stella is cheaper.  Technically bringing any kind of alcohol back across the bridge is illegal, but I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted for it.

On our last trip to La Trappe à Fromage I picked up a few bottles of "La place du marché" (5% abv) from Schoune brewery (which I've never heard of) in Saint-Polycarpe, QC (which I've also never heard of).  The bottle was pretty unremarkable, but since Schoune's website was last updated in 2003 I'm guessing graphic design is not a priority.

Of course none of that matters as long as the beer is good.  Sadly it is not.  It's a yeasty blonde, and unlike last week's entry it has some character.  Unfortunately that character is mostly yeast.  The nose is sweet and cider-y, and yeasty.  The taste is best compared to yeasty apples.  The finish?  Well, you get where I'm going.  There seemed something overall off about this beer, although since the entire six-pack tasted the same wasn't due to a bad bottle.  I'm predisposed to like these obscure beers, but not this one.  Oh well, there are plenty more where that came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment